Over the past 15 months, our journey to have a baby has slowly consumed me. I realized that I really had no other goals than getting pregnant and staying that way. Making that realization scared me. I do not what to be one of those parents who has nothing else to talk about except her child. I was inspired by a fellow blogger who posted her "101 things" list. I thought this would be the perfect way to force myself to make tangible goals to accomplish over the next several years. I started this blog as a way to communicate my progress along the way. As I complete a task, I will post a new entry all about it.
Here's the scoop on how it works....
The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
Calculating the End Date
You can easily find out when your project will end by using this handy tool at http://www.timeanddate.com/
Start Date: January 1, 2009
End Date: September 29, 2011
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment